Monday 30 December 2013

Failure & Success: I Was A Nobody.

I want to keep this short and sweet. As the new year approaches, I want to write something which may inspire or motivate you.



In school, I was always last pick when it came to activities. I was a football fanatic but absolutely sucked at it. I played for a local team and was never played in my favored position. I would play as a central defender and don't ever remember making a tackle. There was a game where the coach played me as an attacking midfielder. I came on as a sub for the last 5 minutes. My second touch of the ball was a goal. I still remember dancing in jubilation, I had scored which became the winning goal. All the other kids got a medal that day, I didn't get one. The next game I was a substitute again; my team was getting dismantled. The game was already lost so the manager thought he may as well give me a run. I still remember him saying: "If you go on, you better not stop running." -  The score was 7-1. I came on as a central midfielder and after 5 minutes of running I was absolutely shattered. I looked towards the touchline and the manager was getting ready to substitute me, so I ran. I took the ball off the opposition on the halfway mark and ran as fast as I could, my heart pounding and my mind wanting me to stop. This resulted in an assist; I set up a further 3 goals and the match ended 7-5. I didn't get a losers medal that day. The coach promised me one at a later time but that time never came. I left the team and stopped playing football.

I fell in love with football again when I was introduced to 5 a side football a couple of years later. I started off rusty, unfit and my reading off the game was as precise as a blunt razor blade. I did suck for a few years. When I managed to find fitness and started going to the park on my own and practicing skills and tricks I had seen on YouTube, I actually became really good. I'm way too old to go anywhere with football now (In a footballing perspective), but I can play now with great tenacity.

This is another 'in school one'. In school, I was called names and was mocked for my physical appearance. I was either 'skinny' or 'ugly'. Through my late teenage years, I was extremely dissatisfied with life and was stressed. I began to put on weight and although I didn't get huge, I didn't like what I saw in the mirror. My friends would often mock me and tease me about getting fat. This is exactly why I love my friends. They drove me to getting into better shape than them. As for those kids in school who called me names, I would love a school reunion so we could compare our lives. I'm only joking, but you see where I'm coming from... So kids let that be a lesson to you, do not look down on anyone.


My teachers never directly told me I was failure, but I know they thought it. I don't blame them, I was lazy and lacked concentration. There was this one guy who used to call me stupid and rub his grades in my face. Like I said, I would love a reunion. I was raised in a broken home. If you come from a broken home, you could relate and understand that motivation is difficult to find. Honestly, I did not know how important a GCSE was. Rightly so, I failed every single thing.

I won't go into detail of what happened after. But I went onto study two degrees in Journalism and Sport & Exercise Science.

You know them awards and certificates you win in school assemblies? Yeah, I had never got any.

Music, one thing that I am renowned for. I was the worst. I absolutely sucked. My voice was terrible, my flow was awful and my delivery was cold pizza. My one strong attribute were my lyrics. I wrote with emotion, I just couldn't record as well as I wrote.I went onto getting hundreds of thousands of hits and downloads, as well as a strong social media following. I did not 'make it' in music, but I never wanted to. The level I acquired was the level I wanted to be at. I've met great people, made great friends and got the love and affection I set out to get.

All I am trying to say is, you are what you want yourself to be. I will continue to grow stronger, bigger and better each year. No one can stop me, my only obstacle is myself. If I trip, I will stand right back up. If they laugh, I will give them no reason to laugh anymore. If they tell me that I'm not good enough, I will show them that I am more than good enough. To this day, people doubt me. I love the challenge. I may seem like I am doing nothing and am incapable of achieving what you expect me not to, but I damn right will.  I do not talk, I do. I don't show off, I show up. You are not what is seen in your reflection or by the human eye, you are that fire inside of you. If it burns as much as mine, you will succeed.

Stay With Me

No comments:

Post a Comment